Sunday, April 10, 2011

Vivian's Graduation (BSN edition)

Yes folks, I have finally graduated with my Bachelors Degree! I don't just mean "finally" because it was difficult, or it felt like I was here for a long time. The fact is, I HAVE been going to college for a LONG time!

How long you ask? Well, I have been attending BYU-I since 2004! Yes, I admit I have been going to college for 7 years! While all my high school friends have gone and received Masters Degrees, I was here getting my undergraduate education. It wasn't really all that bad though. 

I began my BYU-I journey as a Biology Major doing pre-med. I originally wanted to be a pediatrician. Then, realizing that I didn't have to major in Biology to go to med school, I switched my major to Health Science. I really liked studying public health. After taking more biology and chemistry generals, I decided that Med school was not for me. What I really wanted to be, was a nurse. I knew this all along, however, I just wanted to go for the higher degree (MD). I also had the feeling that this is what Heavenly Father wanted me to do for now. 

As I prepared to apply for nursing school, I learned that once you had over 30 credits, you had to get all the pre requisites for nursing done before you even applied for the nursing program. I began to take all the pre reqs in the Winter semester of 2005. After so much hard work and hardly any social life I finished all the requirements and I applied for the program in the summer of 2007. Now, some people already know that the BYUI nursing program is EXTREMELY competitive: Hundreds of applicants and only 42 spots and once in the program if you got a final grade of 74% or less, you got kicked out. The department had stated that the average GPA of admittance was 3.7-3.8. This discouraged me a little since my GPA was 3.6, but I applied anyways because I felt good about it. Some of my classmates had applied more than twice until they got in. 

I got lucky. I got accepted on my first try. I found out I had gotten into the program and was to start January 2008. I met Steve over my fall break and we ended up getting engaged. Steve was attending school in MN and was planning to transfer to BYUI sometime later. After realizing how hard I worked on getting into the program, I convinced Steve to move to Rexburg. 

Because the nursing program is very structured and you have to take courses back to back. Anyone starting the program had to "start over." So technically, I had to start my quest for a degree all over, except this time I had all the generals out of the way. I graduated with my Associates Degree in Nursing (ASN), and passed my board licencing exams in the summer of 2009 (while pregnant with Ben). Click here for the official post. 

I applied for the Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) and started in January 2010. All that time I was only going to school half-time and working as an RN while being a mommy. It was tough, but I can assure you that it CAN be done. I realized that both times I graduated I was pregnant. :-)

I have enjoyed going to BYU-Idaho. It is a wonderful University and I highly recommend it to anyone who is seeking a positive learning experience... 

And now, without further ado....... I present myself!   Yay! Congrats for me!









5 comments:

  1. Congrats to you indeed! I LOVE Ben's suit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats friend. I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo Vivian!! Way to go! What a great accomplishment. =) And the pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...