Monday, April 25, 2011

Andy's Birth Story

I must say that this was quite the birth experience for me. It all started last Monday morning. I woke up around 7 to Ben pounding on the door wanting to come out of his room. I then realized my contractions were actually a little uncomfortable and painful with lower back discomfort. I had a Dr's Appointment that morning at 10:20 but having been in labor for more than 24 hours with my first pregnancy, I wanted to know if I should go when scheduled, or go later when I'm more dilated.  I was told to go in right away. So I took a hot shower to help me relax and headed to the doctor's office. I practiced some of the hypnobirthing techniques I had read from a hypnobirthing book. So far contractions were a little painful, but I was relaxed and focused. The contractions were about 4 minutes apart.

At the office, my midwife checked me and found me dilated to 4cm and 90% effaced. She pretty much told me I was going to have the baby that day. I didn't really believe it though. She told me I could either go to the hospital and check in, or go home and relax until the contractions get closer together. We chose to go home. 

Steve made me a hot soup and I sat on the couch timing each contraction. We called my sister in law Kelly and asked her if she could come over and take care of Ben in case we went to the hospital. She was to come around 1pm. I had a visiting teaching appointment set up at noon and I was determined to go since the contractions weren't as painful (but that was around 10 am). At 11, I realized I was definitely not going to make it! 

We let Ben take a nap while things progressed. At 12:30 contractions got more intense and I realized that if we didn't head to the hospital, I was going to have the baby at home. Steve asked our upstairs neighbors (The Rileys) to watch Ben until Kelly got here. 

At 12:45 we call the midwife and began to head to the Hospital. Steve was still  packing some stuff. As I opened the door to go outside, my water breaks (just a trickle though). Without any time to change we go in the car. At this point I was still able to walk and talk during contractions. 

We park and head up the hospital elevator. There was an old couple in the elevator and they seemed pretty nervous when they saw me have a contraction. We arrived at Labor and Delivery, but we had to answer some questions first. I was going to preregister on that very day, but I ended up going into labor instead. After a few questions, we check into the hospital at 1pm. They put me in a room and the nurses begin to scramble. My midwife is already there and checks me. I was dilated to a 6. 

I gave the nurses my birth plan, which basically said that I didn't want an epidural, IV fluids, or anesthesia. This time I wanted to do it ALL NATURAL. 

At 1:45 my contractions were less than 2 minutes apart and I felt intense pressure and the urge to push. With no time to check me again my midwife gave me the okay to push. After about 4 contractions and about 10 minutes, I pushed the baby out!! It was very awkard- especially since I actually had pain sensations down there. With Ben, I had an epidural and I had no pain whatsoever. This time, it was the real deal. 

The contractions were painful but I was able to manage the pain pretty well- I think. The most painful part was the pushing. Holy Cow! It felt like there was no more room to accommodate the baby's head. Steve and the nurses were all saying "Puuuuuuuuush!!!"  

" I AM PUSHING!!!" I replied. What if pushing took hours like it happens to some moms? I decided this was not going to happen to me. I immediately gave my biggest "push" ever and heard them all say "his head is out!"  He finally came out! Once he was out though, the pain was immediately over- it was incredible!

The baby was placed in my chest right away and I was able to hear his cry for the first time. My hands and body were shaking, but I didn't care- I had just given birth! I had an amazing birth crew with incredible nurses. I also had a wonderful and supportive husband that helped me through it all. He held my hand, he rubbed my back, he continually repeated "you can do it!" and  "push!"  We both couldn't believe it. All this happened so fast. Less than 7 hours of labor and one beautiful baby boy.

Andrew was born at 1:58 pm on April 18th 2011. He weighed 8 pounds 8 oz and was 20 inches long. He couldn't be any more perfect! Andy had perfect timing because the last day of coverage for my insurance was on the 18th. Ha! I think the Lord answered our prayers. Who wants to be stuck with a pricey hospital bill? not us. 


Here is Andy just a few minutes old. What a little trooper!










Big Brother Ben comes to visit just a few hours later. He held Andy for the first time and he LOVES his new baby brother.

His favorite thing to do? Kiss baby Andy's head.

Our first family picture with the new baby. Can't wait for our family photo shoot in June!

 All snugly in his car seat ready to go.

One more big brother and baby shot. Ben is excited!

Of course, I had to include this newborn photo-shoot picture of Andy. He is very photogenic! He is my little cuddly teddy bear. 


Thank so much to those who helped us out with Ben and who took care of us the days after the birth! Kelly, you are the best! 




7 comments:

  1. Yea! I actually got on here earlier today to see if this was here and it wasn't...then I saw on fb that it was posted :D well I am glad to hear everything turned out so amazing! Hooray for babies! He IS perfect! Congrats you guys! I wish was there....only 4 more weeks and hopefully I can have a success story like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so dang cute, congrats my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a woman Vivian! Wahoo! Good job with the natural birth!! He is a cutie. You're braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congrats you guys! Way to go natural!! I loved my natural experience so much more than with an epidural! You two make beautiful babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful boy! Your kids are so SUPER cute! I know cute isn't the right word for boys, but think of a better word and that's what I mean! Congrats on going natural! My last epidural only numbed one side and nearly all the way, so I could feel pain and there's no way I'm going to try it completely natural! WOW! Which midwife delivered you? I liked the one who retired, but I think she was still working on call?? Get some rest! Keep the pics coming! Take care you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Congratulations. Sounds like everything went the way you wanted it to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! We're glad to hear that everything went well. We are so happy for your growing family. Your boys are so adorable! We look forward to seeing your family photo shoot!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...